Monday, January 12, 2009

Resolved: One Ghost Story

We all make New Year's resolutions. Well, a lot of us do, anyway. One of mine was to write four novels by June. Why June? Just because here on the farm life gets pretty involved when the warm weather arrives. Gardening, hiking, rowing and lots of other outdoor things keep me from my desk so getting most of my year's writing done early will make the warm months more pleasurable. At least that's the plan!

One of 2009's novels is going to be a ghost story. I'm mulling over two ideas, trying to decide which one to use. One is a contemporary story. The other is set during the Civil War. Both have strong heroines, hunky heroes and a dead body or two in unexpected places. Oh, and each has a ghost who wreaks havoc at nearly every turn.

So...what do you think? Contemporary? Or historical? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

And what about you? Have you made any resolutions for the New Year?

6 comments:

Debra Doggett said...

I love ghost stories, Sarita. They blend the past and the present and you can do so many cool things in them. I also envy you the farm. What a great place to be.
Debbie

Beth Caudill said...

Wow. 4 before June. I'm just hoping to finish one by July.

I'd say it depends on the contemporary setting. If its the city than I'd prefer a historical. But if you make a small town then a contemporary might work for the ghost story.

But that's my personal preference. Do what feels right for your story.

Keena Kincaid said...

Oh, I love a good ghost story! The Civil War could be fun, but I'd make it a contemporary with a ticked-off Civil War ghost. LOL! Seriously, I think there's just something very appealing about a contemporary ghost story because they aren't very common.

Linda LaRoque said...

I'd like either one but guess I'm like Keena, I like ghosts from the past. You may just have to write two stories.

Linda
www.lindalaroque.com

Viola Estrella said...

I love both contemporary and historical, and of course I love a great ghost story. Good luck with your goals!

Jen Childers said...

hi,
you got both my faves: paranormal and history. A twist could be a twilight zone type situation where you think the civil war ghost is haunting the contemporary but instead you figure out the future has reached back to the past and the civil war soldier has his life saved by a vision of the future.
Jen